When you’re young, impressionable, and just trying to navigate your way through the corporate game of Chutes and Ladders it’s important to find a rock steady influence who can stand beside you at every fork in the road. For me this was my VP of HR at my previous company. She was a force to be reckoned with, smart, thoughtful, creative, and sharp as a tack.
What I admired most about her wasn’t just her attitude and personality, it was the pivotal and vital role she served at the organization. During our time together she was the driving force behind a complete organizational, business process, and competency model redesign. Within one year she enabled her team and others with the right tools, resources, and automated technology to help streamline routine work. Over the course of the next three years, her work became strategic, creating the structure and culture that allowed the business to not only succeed but completely thrive.
Automating routine and classically core functions of HR – such as payroll, benefits administration, staffing, and forms – can drastically reduce the amount of time devoted to administrative tasks, and allow organizations to invest more time and energy in creating an infrastructure where employees, volunteers, and missions can flourish.
Here are 10 HR processes and tasks to start automating now:
- Expense Reimbursement Submissions – Save time, create faster processing turnarounds, and reduce paper-based work by allowing employees to submit expenses and automating the submission processes.
- Scheduling – Save time by managing work schedules with workflows that help recognize matches, and assign shifts based on availability of volunteers, employees, and floating staff.
- Benefits Calculation – Automatically calculate benefits, including contribution and deduction amounts for government, insurance, and retirement account benefits.
- Claims Tracking – Track benefit claims, including workers compensation and insurance claims.
- Pay-Rate and Overtime Calculations – Automate and process payroll calculations; then track, view, and report labor hours accurately for federal, tax, and ACA forms and reports.
- Onboarding –Improve hiring methods with new employee onboarding paperwork and workflows. Once complete, securely store documents and forms, and set up alerts for any paperwork processing that may be outstanding.
- Certification Management for Staff – Allow self-management of certifications and trainings by employees with manager-level access for approvals, messaging, and progress tracking.
- Benefit Elections and Open Enrollment – With web-portal access, employees can review current and select future elections, and HR staff can oversee the entire enrollment process, create group plans, access workflows, and create reports and queries.
- Global Updates to Benefit Premium, Deductions, etc. – Establish automatic updates and determine how they appear in your system when plans change.
- Key Analytics – Create dashboards and access reporting tools that help automate the production of key analytics such as employee turnover, average tenure, and organization growth.
Automating processes and tasks helps emphasize the “human” element of human resources by freeing employees from the mundane. Consider the extended benefits to managing your organization’s most vital assets from one single integrated accounting system. Managing your modern workforce and your mission-driven dollars is easy with Abila MIP Fund Accounting™ and its fully comprehensive HR Management suite. Combined, Abila’s true fund accounting™ solutions and tools help to tackle the most tedious tasks, so you can better power your mission.