Looking for the perfect gift for Administrative Professionals’ Day? We have a suggestion.
According to Community Brands recent “Nonprofit Finance Study: The Dynamics and Challenges of Growth,” 86 percent of nonprofit finance professionals find meeting the human resources needs of employees to be a challenge, with 63 percent of those citing the challenge as moderate to major.
This comes as no surprise, as many nonprofit and government organizations use a patchwork of systems and manual processes to manage their payroll and HR functions. The resulting inefficiencies and operational risk breed uncertainty – the last thing an organization needs. To compound the issue, the responsibility to navigate this area often falls to administrative staff who are already overburdened and overworked. That’s why on this Administrative Professionals Day, we suggest going beyond the flowers and sweets and lunches to give the gift that keeps on giving – AUTOMATION.
When evaluating a fund accounting system, it’s essential to look for one that creates important synergies between finance and HR functions. After all, as funding sources increase in complexity, an organization’s accounting, human resource management, and payroll needs deepen, as well. Automating core functions of HR – such as payroll, benefits administration, staffing, and forms – will not only save administrative staff valuable time and energy, but also offer the extended benefit of managing assets from a single integrated accounting system.
Not sure where to begin? Here are 10 HR processes and tasks to start automating now:
- Expense Reimbursement Submissions – Save time, create faster processing turnarounds, and reduce paper-based work by allowing employees to submit expenses and automating the submission processes.
- Scheduling – Save time by managing work schedules with workflows that help recognize matches, and assign shifts based on availability of volunteers, employees, and floating staff.
- Benefits Calculation – Automatically calculate benefits, including contribution and deduction amounts for government, insurance, and retirement account benefits.
- Claims Tracking – Track benefit claims, including workers compensation and insurance claims.
- Pay-Rate and Overtime Calculations – Automate and process payroll calculations; then track, view, and report labor hours accurately for federal, tax, and ACA forms and reports.
- Onboarding – Improve hiring methods with new employee onboarding paperwork and workflows. Once complete, securely store documents and forms, and set up alerts for any paperwork processing that may be outstanding.
- Certification Management for Staff – Allow self-management of certifications and trainings by employees with manager-level access for approvals, messaging, and progress tracking.
- Benefit Elections and Open Enrollment – With web-portal access, employees can review current and select future elections, and HR staff can oversee the entire enrollment process, create group plans, access workflows, and create reports and queries.
- Global Updates to Benefit Premium, Deductions, etc. – Establish automatic updates and determine how they appear in your system when plans change.
- Key Analytics – Create dashboards and access reporting tools that help automate the production of key analytics such as employee turnover, average tenure, and organization.